Before we explain about RFID technology applications, you need to know about the Automatic Identification first. What is Automatic Identification or Auto ID? It is a term for a technologies host that is used to support machines in identifying objects. Auto ID is often paired with automatic data capture. Many companies use this technology to help them identify the employee to some kind of data capturing system. The operation of this technology is like this; Companies capture information about the employees, and then the data get into the computer automatically.
The purpose of having this technology is to increase efficiency, decrease errors in data entry, and to make the staff is able to do something other than data entry, which is probably more important. There many technologies that are related to this auto-ID technology. These technologies are including voice recognition, bar codes, smart cards, biometric scans, optical character recognition, and RFID.
So, what is RFID? RFID stand from Radio Frequency Identification. It is a technology that can automatically identify people or objects using radio waves. There are some methods and identification of RFID. The most common method is to save a serial number that identifies a certain objects or person. This method is done on a RFID transponder, which is in form of microchip that is attached to an antenna. Basically, RFID consists of a tag that is made of antenna, microchip, and a reader. The system which works as the reader sends out waves that are electromagnetic.
This wave will be received by the tag antenna. Then, this passive RFID tag will get power from the field that is made by the reader. The power activates the circuits of microchip, so, the waves are modulated by the chip that the tag is able to send it back to the reader. And then, the reader turns the new waves data into digital.
RFID Technology Application in Security and Privacy
Because of the fast speed in identifying object, the RFID technology is become more and more popular than before in many industries. But, there are some security and privacy problem that this RFID has. There are some threats that are addressed by studies to RFID technology applications. Here are the threats:
- Cloning: the tag can be read by attacker and then clone it by writing all the data into other tags. It is possible because of the tags that are usually attached to the open environment products, such as in supermarket, schools, hospital, and other places.
- Denial of Service: the RFID system can be crashed by the attacker by sending massive massage to the system. It will make the resource to be unavailable to the intended users. Because of that, the data would also be inconsistent to respond to other requirement of validity.
- Replay Attack: When the valid data are transmitted, it can be delayed and repeated by the attacker. It is done to cheat or spoof the reader or the tag to get access data.
- Eavesdropping: it is the major threat of RFID readers. The tag and reader communicate via open air, so it makes it easy for the attacker to quietly listen to all the things they communicate. It is because communicating via air such as radio frequency is easy to be eavesdropped or sniffed.
- Data Forging: The dates, items, and prices, can be modify by the attacker. It would cause a great loss for the company if the tag can store more data.
- Forward Security: the tag can be compromised by the attacker, it will result the attacker is getting the current relation date of the tag, such as resident data. Any of the shopping record can be traced back by the attacker.
RFID Tags Library Applications
It is the latest technology that is used in library. It is used for the library theft detection system. RFID is not like the system that is used before (Electro-Mechanical and Radio Frequency system). The RFID system moves beyond security in order to become tracking systems. That tracking system combines security with material tracking throughout the library efficiently. That tracking includes faster and easier charge and discharge, materials handling, and inventorying.
This technology is a combination of microchip technology and radio frequency technology. RFID is here in the library to replace the old ones, the EM or RF theft detection targets and barcodes. There are some advantages of using RFID technology in library you can have. RFID could save time, because it can read information much faster, so you can do check-in and check-out faster than before. Another advantage is to get the automated materials handling. You can sort the materials by the category by the separate bin with the help of RFID technology applications. Compared to barcodes, the RFID tags last longer. It is because of there is no contact with them.
RFID Technology and Its Application to Port Based Container Logistics
The using of RFID can give it the ability to identify the containers automatically. It will result the increase of speed in the activities. So, it would be great benefits to the manufacturers. It will also improve the resources productivity of customs authority and also the productivity of the terminal operator. The electronic seal will give the possibility to reduce the needed time for seal code identification for both the arrival and shipping of the port. The use of electronic seal can help to prevent the container from unauthorized opened. The RFID technology use help making this happen in all the supply chain. RFID helps the container position within the supply chain to have a better visibility.
Application of RFID Technology in Railway Track Inspection
Based on the survey on RFID technology applications in railway industry, there are 5 different RFID Technology Applications that are used in railway industry. Three of them are:
1. Ticketing system
With the RFID technology application and implementation, the ticketing system at present can be automated. Compared to the traditional ticketing system, RFID technology will make it more resistant to fake tickets. The automated ticket will facilitate contactless automatic identifications, so there will be some advantages over the conventional ticketing system that is paper-based. Furthermore, this automated ticketing system can be done through the phone or internet connection that could make the ticket checker check the ticket easier.
2. Identification and Positioning system
The RFID Technology Applications can be used for the purpose or RVI (Railway Vehicle Identification) system. It can work effectively where there’s no continous signaling system. This system is the one that makes the vehicle location/positioning system to be possible. The involvement of the RFID technology applications are in the working of this system.
RFID tag is mounted on the track, it transmits each corresponding location identity, and then it is received by the RFID Readers. The RFID readers are mounted on the sleepers and connected to the computer control system that is installed in the stop via a serial link.
3. Track Inspection system
Before RFID, it is done by the permanent way maintenance that is consisted of gangs under the supervision of gang mate. This patrol system checks a particular assigned section of track; it’s also required visual inspection. Sometime, that system is not accurate. The RFID technology applications can help to improve the standardization, operation control level, and the accurate patrol team monitoring.
RFID Technology Applications in Healthcare
In Healthcare, RFID technology Applications has a great role. Many hospitals and healthcare industry have used this technology in adopting leaner supply chain practices that is accompanied with manufacturing in order to improve safety and also get the cost pared down. Here are some examples:
- Decreasing Supply Stock: Overstocked supplies is become one of the annoying problems for the nurses in some hospital. With the use of RFID technology, it can help managing the supplies. So, it would get the supplies of the hospital to be well-managed, preventing it from overstocked.
- Injection Safety: There is a handheld reader is used with RFID tags in the wristbands of the patient; it helps to matched with drugs with the prescription information electronically. It can be accessed by scanning barcodes.
- Radiology: It’s an innovative approach to this technology. In some hospital in the US, they sewed RFID tags into the x-ray protection vest seams. It is done to reduce the time that the x-ray process takes to locate the vests.
- Infection control: RFID tags can also be used to trace people who contact certain patients, especially the contagious ones. So, the hospital can control the infection from the patients.
RFID Technology Applications is not Something New
Actually, RFID Technology Application is not a new thing. This technology has been around for a long time. It began in 1970s, until now. Some companies do not use this technology because it’s expensive and too limited to be practical for commercial applications. If the tags can be made affordable, it could be the solution of many problems that is related to bar codes. This RFID technology is proven. Many companies get the advantages of RFID by investing in it. RFID is regarded as the labor-saving technology. It makes some workers laid off because of the fewer workers need if the RFID system is running in the company.